If you are an olive lover – you are totally going to love this Vegan Red Pepper & Olive Hash. It packs a punch, and the combination of ingredients work fantastically well together. This potato hash is ready in under 30 minutes!
Since I wanted to keep my potatoes crispy, I fried the patties, but you can alternatively roast them!
It’s worth boiling your potatoes, especially in order to make this lovely spin on bubble & squeak, but it’s also a good way of using up leftover mashed potatoes. We all sometimes make more mashed potatoes than we need, so this is a great way of using it up!
This Olive Hash is a fantastic brunch idea. I like to top it with scrambled tofu, grilled tomatoes, and some wilted spinach. Just perfect!
Another option is to have these potato hashes as a side to your vegan omelet? I mean, the options are endless!
Do you love potatoes? Because I absolutely do!
You can make ANYTHING with potatoes….it’s gotta be the best vegetable in the world. I have a friend who is allergic to potatoes, and man, I feel sorry for her! I don’t think I can live without potatoes 😀
Anyway! Do let me know how you found this Vegan Red Pepper & Olive Hash if you try it though! And if there was anything you tried or something that worked better…Do drop me a comment below, or you can find me/message me directly on Instagram, Pinterest, YouTube, or Facebook! I love seeing what my lovely readers think of my recipes!
Vegan Red Pepper & Olive Hash
- 500 g/16oz/4 cups of white potatoes or 400g of leftover mash potatoes
- 2 medium-sized red peppers chopped
- 1/2 cup/100g of pitted olives chopped
- 1 tbsp of capers drained and chopped
- 2 tbsp of oil to fry
- 2 tsp of dried thyme
- 1/3 bunch of parsley chopped
- 1/2 tsp of salt
- Black pepper
- If you are cooking the potatoes from scratch, peel and dice them into even chunks. Put them in a saucepan, cover them in water add a few pinches of salt, and boil them until fork-tender.
- Drain the potatoes and leave them on the side for 5 minutes. Then mash them really well.
- Put a large, non-stick pan on the heat, add some oil and fry the chopped red peppers. Add a pinch of salt and pepper and fry them for 2-3 minutes until soft.
- Transfer them onto the mashed potato bowl.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the bowl, and mix well.
- Shape 12-13 small patties ( the smaller the better, they will cook quicker and be crispier)
- Heat the same non-stick frying pan and drizzle the oil. let it warm, then add the patties and fry them on each side until crispy. I like to Squash them gently so that they fry all the way through.
- Serve immediately and enjoy 🙂