These Vegan Squash & Chickpea Patties are simple to make, using squash and chickpeas. They are gluten-free and can be baked instead of fried for a healthier option.
These lightly spiced seed encrusted patties are lovely with a dollop of dhal or hummus; you could serve them with some quinoa or salad.<
Whether you call them chickpeas or garbanzo beans, I love cooking with them. They are an easy source of protein and are affordable.
The squash in this recipe adds so much freshness and sweetness to these patties. I like baking them for a healthier option, but if you are not avoiding oil, frying will make them so much more crispy.
The patties are gluten-free as they do not have any flours or breadcrumbs added to them. The mixture is moist enough to bind well. The loose soft mixture is shaped into patties and baked or fried.
They come out crispy on the outside and soft inside. These chickpea cakes are delicious with chutneys or stuff them in pitas.
Add whatever spices and ingredients you have and make some of these easy chickpea cakes to snack on.
How do you like your chickpeas?
I am a hummus addict, if you haven’t noticed already, so hummus is a number one use for me when it comes to chickpeas. What about butternut squash? Hmm…My favorite way of eating it would probably be – IN A HUMMUS! Haha! 😀
Anyway! Do let me know how you found this Vegan Squash & Chickpea Patties recipe if you try it though! And if there was anything you tried or something that worked better…Do drop me a comment below, or you can find me/message me directly on Instagram, Pinterest, YouTube, or Facebook! I love seeing what my lovely readers think of my recipes!
Vegan Squash & Chickpea Patties
- 16 oz/500g butternut squash
- 16 oz/400g can of chickpeas drained and rinsed
- A bunch of spring onions trimmed and sliced
- 1 tsp of coriander seeds
- 1 tsp of cumin seeds
- A pinch of dried chili flakes
- 1 tsp of soy sauce or tamari sauce if avoiding gluten
- 2 handfuls of mixed seeds such as pumpkin seeds sunflower, chia, linseeds etc
- Oil to fry optional, see notes below for an oil-free option *
- 1/3 tsp of salt
- Black pepper
- Peel and deseed the squash then cut into 2-3cm pieces. Put the squash pieces into a steamer basket, or in a pan and cover with water. Boil/steam the squash until tender, but not mushy. About 20 minutes.
- Strain the squash, and mash it, leaving chunky bits is fine. leave to cool completely.
- Once you have rinsed the chickpeas, mash them roughly as well. Add them to the squash and with the spring onions.
- Using a pestle and mortar - add all the spices in it, and bash them until coarse. Alternatively, you can use pre-ground spices and you can skip this step.
- The ground spices to the squash & chickpea mix and mix well. Add the tamari, the salt, and the pepper and mix well again.
- If frying, shape the mixture into 6 large patties top with the mixed seeds, and fry on both sides until golden. If you want them oil-free, shape the mixture into 10-12 small patties and bake in the oven for about 35 minutes at 370F/185C.