If you are a new vegan or considering going vegan, you will have questions like “what do vegans eat” “how to tell if something is vegan” and of course, is chocolate vegan?
All these questions need answering, as well as the ethical questions, like can vegans eat eggs? Can you raise a child vegan? How to be vegan and keep your friends? All these questions matter, and need answering.
So, worry not, I am here to answer them all for you!
Before we get into this, I would first like to welcome all the readers of julesfoods.net, I have recently acquired the site, and want to give everyone a warm welcome to VegeVega!
What Is Veganism?
Veganism is a type of lifestyle and eating choice that revolves around stopping eating/wearing/consuming all things animal based.
Vegans will need to eliminate the following things from their diet:
- Honey (although a controversial topic)
- Processed additives & products that involved any form of animal cruelty, or contain animal-derived ingredients (e.g Gelatin, sweets often have gelatin)
Other things that vegans should eliminate are:
- Leather (there is vegan leather, but you need to ensure what you are buying is vegan)
- Beauty products (there are beauty products that are vegan, or cruelty-free, such as Fenty Beauty. However, you should stay clear (at least for now) from using products from La Roche Posay, Lancome, OGX, and Cetaphil, although, they do have some vegan-friendly products.
- Food Colorings – a lot of the food colorings have a form of animal cruelty, such as red 40, although, it’s considered vegan for some. Personally, I stay away from red 40.
- Food Additives & Preservatives – Things like Xanthan Gum & Guar Gum are actually suitable for vegans, however, other additives such as beeswax, Canthaxanthin & Calcium Carbonate & other additives, have a suspicious way of production, so stay clear of those.
Controversial Things Some Vegans May Or May Not Avoid
There are certain products/vegan lifestyle choices that the vegan community is split kinda 50/50 on. Here they are:
- Palm Oil
- Backyard Eggs
- Industrial Veganism
- Sugar (Especially in the USA)
- Some Beauty Products (The controversy typically occurs when there may have been some animal cruelty involved via a third party, (e.g if production has taken place in China, they may have tested on animals)
- Feeding your baby vegan (feeding them plant-based baby formulas, etc)
And the list goes on.
But when it comes to what does vegan mean as a general, it means that you are someone, or someone who is vegan, someone who avoids all animal-based foods and is conscious of animal cruelty.
Most vegans would be conscious of the environment, and our footprint. So you will also often see vegans who tend to use recyclable products and are generally conscious of the well-being of the planet and our environment.
Possible Side Effects Of The Vegan Diet
One of the biggest issues or concerns when it comes to the vegan diet is getting the required nutrients from your diet. One of those of course is Vitamin B12.
However, there are other possible side effects, such as teeth problems, and malnutrition, if you don’t get your required nutrients via your diet.
Some vegans also tend to lose weight on a vegan diet. This falls mainly due to them not eating enough, especially as they are adjusting to their new lifestyle & diet.
However, this can be said for any diet, the bottom line is, if you eat badly, you will feel bad and eventually have health problems. When you are transitioning to a vegan diet, make sure you do a bit of research on what exactly you will need to eat, to make sure you are getting everything your body needs from your diet.
Can Vegans Dine Out?
Eating out, with friends and family, or going out on dates is part of our lives. But are there any vegan options out there, are there vegan bakeries? Vegan Breakfast? Vegan-friendly restaurants? What about pastries, and sweet shops, such as Crumbl?
The good news is, MOST restaurants and food places will have vegan-friendly options, in fact, some food places are TOTALY vegan-friendly!
But What About Cheese?
A big problem for many individuals switching to a vegan diet is cheese. A lot of people love cheese, and there is often a big concern about how they are going to get their cheese fix.
There is good news though, there are some fantastic vegan cheeses available to buy, and there are also some awesome vegan cheese recipes that you can make using nuts and seeds, some of these are:
And this list goes on!
Vegan Cheese Available To Buy Can Be Many:
- Cream Cheeses
- Vegan Cheese Slices
- Shredded Cheese
And this list goes on. Most of these vegan cheese MELT GREAT too!
If you think there are no celebrities that are vegan, you are wrong. There are a lot of celebrities that are vegetarian as well, these include:
And when it comes to which celebrities are vegan, here’s a quick list of some of them:
- Billie Eilish
- Natalie Portman
- Joaquin Phoenix
- Ariana Grande
- Russell Brand
- Liam Hemsworth
And the list goes on.
When it comes to wearing vegan, there are plenty of options.
Doc Martens have a fantastic vegan range, they are great quality and very stylish.
Another big brand that has awesome vegan options is Nike.
In terms of bags, fancy bags, in particular, Saffiano Leather has some awesome vegan options too.
All these aren’t the only options though, there are many many vegan-friendly options when it comes to clothing.
Being vegan can mean many things, but one of the biggest meanings of being a vegan is the lack of animal cruelty and the deeper understanding and protection of our environment.
Veganism isn’t a diet, it’s a lifestyle, and it’s one of the best decisions you will ever make when you decide to go vegan.