These Easy Healthy Vegan Gluten-Free Chocolate Cupcakes have no flour, eggs, or butter and are 100% plant-based. The recipe is very simple and even if you’re not good at baking, like me, it’s hard to go wrong with making these.
If you are testing these black bean muffins on others don’t tell them the special ingredient until after they have tried them. No one in real life has guessed so far the secret ingredient (black beans) and everyone was unaware that they are healthy cupcakes loaded with nutrients, vitamins, fiber, protein, and heart-healthy fats.
These cupcakes are also a smart way of making your kids eat healthy stuff without them realizing it! 😀
I always reach for if I want to make someone an impressive delicious cake that tastes like it’s bad for you when actually it’s loaded with nutrition.
Suitable for people on a gluten-free, vegan, plant-based, and general healthy whole foods diet.
These cupcakes may be high in calories, but one will satisfy a sweet tooth as they are made from whole foods.
To make a healthier version you can leave out the coconut oil and chocolate chips. They will still taste great, but won’t quite have the same fudgy texture.
I usually don’t eat cooked oil of any sort, but a tiny bit of coconut oil once in a while is fine. And the oil makes the moister.
The most common question I get about these healthy chocolate muffins is if they taste of beans, and the answer is no!
They really don’t even if you are looking for the beany flavor the cocoa and sweetness make the healthy ingredient undetectable.
For the chocolate chips I slice up a very dark bar of chocolate. The higher the cocoa the better – I aim for something 80-85% cocoa.
The bar I used for this healthy chocolate cupcake recipe is 82%. Just make sure you use vegan chocolate. Of course, if you like sweeter chocolate – you can use a sweeter less darker chocolate.
Do let me know how you found these Easy Healthy Vegan Gluten-Free Chocolate Cupcakes if you do try them though! And if there was anything you tried or something that worked better…Do drop me a comment below, or you can find me/message me directly on Instagram, Pinterest, YouTube, or Facebook! I love seeing what my lovely readers think of my recipes!
Also, I would really appreciate it if you check out my very first E-Book, it’s a 70-page book, full of beautiful, easy, and delicious vegan recipes! Click HERE to find out more!
Easy Healthy Vegan Gluten-Free Chocolate Cupcakes
- BLACK BEAN CUPCAKES:
- 13 oz/1 can / tin / 240g cooked drained & rinsed Black beans
- 3 tbsp Cocoa powder
- ½ cup / 40 g ground Oats
- 2-4 tbsp Maple syrup/date syrup / or any sweetener
- 6-8 pitted dates
- 2 tbsp melted Coconut oil or Coconut butter
- 2 tsp Vanilla extract
- ½ cup / 80g of Chocolate chips / chunks
- ½ tsp Baking powder
- pinch of Salt
- CASHEW VANILLA FROSTING:
- ¾ cup / 100g raw Cashew nuts
- 2 tbsp melted Coconut oil or Coconut butter optional
- 2 tbsp Maple syrup/date syrup
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 2-4 tbsp water just enough to blend smooth.
- Preheat the oven to 350 F / 180 C.
- Place everything for the bean muffins apart from the chocolate chips/chunks in a food processor and blend until smooth. You can use a blender if you don’t have a food processor but it will need to be blended in batches.
- Stir in the ½ cup / 80g of chocolate chips and then spread out in a lined muffin pan.
- Bake in the oven for 16-20 mins until a knife comes out clean.
- Blend all the cashew frosting ingredients together then place in the freezer for 5 mins. It should then be a consistency where it doesn’t pour but is still spreadable. If the frosting is too runny, stir in some more melted coconut oil and chill.
- Spread frosting on top of the cooled black bean cupcakes. Garnish with some chocolate shavings.
- They are delicious while warm and gooey but still taste amazing cold and these healthy chocolate muffins will last a few days in the fridge.