These Vegan Chinese Sweet Chili Crispy Fries are a super addictive Chinese starter or snack with potatoes.
Here you have crispy fried potatoes tossed in delicious sticky sweet and spicy sauce and finished with a generous dose of toasted sesame seeds. Addictive is the right word!
I like serving these spiced fries with my homemade burgers, and even curries and stews!
It’s really easy to make these homemade Chinese spiced fries, all you need are few potatoes and a few basic sauces used in Chinese cooking.
Spend around 30-40 minutes and there you got yourself a plate of piping hot crispy chili potatoes straight from your favorite Chinese restaurant, in fact, even better!
The recipe I am sharing here is the authentic one where you need to fry the potatoes in oil. However, if you make this frequently or to avoid oil, you can easily bake or air fry them. Further, toss the fried potatoes in maple chili sauce.
How do you like your fries?
If you haven’t noticed already – this is how I like mine! Sweet and spicy!
I hope this recipe becomes your new favorite way of eating up your potatoes!
Anyway! Do let me know how you found this Vegan Chinese Sweet Chili Crispy Fries recipe if you try it though! And if there was anything you tried or something that worked better…Do drop me a comment below, or you can find me/message me directly on Instagram, Pinterest, YouTube, or Facebook! I love seeing what my lovely readers think of my recipes!
Vegan Chinese Sweet Chili Crispy Fries
- For the potatoes:
- 3 large potatoes peeled and sliced into medium-thick fingers
- 2 tablespoons cornflour
- 1 teaspoon red chilli paste
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly cracked black peppercorns
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- For Sweet and Spicy Sauce:
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil toasted preferably
- 2 teaspoons minced ginger-garlic preferably fresh
- 1 teaspoon red chilli paste or harissa
- 1 large onion thinly sliced
- 1/2 green bell pepper thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp of salt
- Rinse and scrub the peel off the potatoes. Cut into medium-sized fingers. Bring a large pan with water to the boil, then add the potatoes in the pan and boil for 6-8 minutes. Drain and run through cold water.
- Toss the potatoes in a wide bowl. Add cornflour, red chilli paste, pepper powder and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Add 2 -3 teaspoons water and mix well.
- Cover a pan generously with oil and want it on medium heat
- Add the batter coated potatoes in small batches and deep fry until golden.
- Spread the potatoes on a kitchen paper as single layer until you make the maple chilli sauce.
- To make the sauce:
- Add sliced onions and thinly sliced green bell peppers.
- Mix well and saute for a minute.
- Add the rest of the sauce ingredients to the veggies.
- Saute all the ingredients in high heat for 3-4 minutes until the sauce bubbles. If you want a thicker sauce, you can thicken the sauce with cornflour.
- Mix well and toss in high heat for 2 minutes. Add toasted sesame seeds.
- Mix well, add the fried potatoes and mix well to coat. and serve these chilli potatoes immediately.