This Easy Oil-Free Vegan Tofu Bacon is my new favorite vegan bacon alternative. Oil-free, chewy, crispy, and perfect in a sandwich or in your cooked breakfast.
If you do miss bacon, this is a very good alternative to it. It’s wonderful in sandwiches with ketchup!
I can’t tell you how many times I’ve heard “but bacon, though” as a solid reason why someone can never go vegan. This really puzzles me because I’ve eaten bacon in the past, but I was never THAT crazy over it. In fact, I rarely ate pork or meat in general.
Anyway, if you do miss bacon, this is a very good alternative to it. Not saying it tastes just like ‘the real thing’ but the texture and flavors are close! 🙂
I’m not going to fool you into believing this tastes exactly like bacon. But if you can appreciate it for what it is, and that it makes a pretty darn good vegan bacon replacement – well then, I think you’re going to love this tofu bacon recipe as much as I do!
It’s super versatile and great to have on hand! It’s also super easy to make and bakes up fast within 20 minutes. Plus, it’s oil-free and can be made gluten-free if you use Tamari sauce instead of soy sauce.
The ingredients are quite simple here:
1. Tomato puree
2. Soy Sauce/Tamari
3. Maple Syrup
4. Liquid Smoke (optional)
In a small bowl, add all the sauce ingredients listed below and mix to combine.
Soak the tofu strips in the marinade and then bake. It’s so easy!
Do let me know how you found this Easy Oil-Free Vegan Tofu Bacon you do try them though! And if there was anything you tried or something that worked better…Do drop me a comment below, or you can find me/message me directly on Instagram, Pinterest, YouTube, or Facebook! I love seeing what my lovely readers think of my recipes!
Easy Oil-Free Vegan Tofu Bacon
- 14 oz /400g/1 whole extra firm tofu, thinly sliced length-ways
- 2 tbsp Dark Soy Sauce or tamari sauce for a GF option
- 1 tbsp tomato puree/paste
- 1 tbsp maple syrup or molasses/black treacle
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp liquid smoke (optional) for extra smokiness
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 375F/190C.
- Place the tofu slices in a deep dish.Mix together the soy, paprika, tomato purée, maple, and liquid smoke ( optional ). Pour the marinade onto the tofu slices and marinate in the fridge for 1 hour. I left it overnight, once and it was even better!
- Spread the tofu slices on a baking tray and bake in the oven for 15-20 mins. Bake them 5 minutes longer for extra crispiness. Once baked, I leave them to cool down for 5-10 minutes to firm up. Enjoy!