A Super Quick Miso-Dressed Cabbage Salad, that packs a punch, and can complement many meals.
It’s Gluten-Free and only requires a handful of ingredients!
With its rich colours and garlicky, spicy dressing, this is a treat to find in your lunchbox or to take on a picnic.
I like to have this miso dressed salad as a side to my Oil-Free Crispy Tofu Bites, stuffed in a sandwich or in a wrap, for extra texture and saltiness.
If you like these types of salads, definitely give a seaweed salad a go as well! (ppstt.. read more on seaweed here)
What Is Miso?
Miso, a Japanese ingredient, is a paste made from fermented soya beans. Intensely savory, it’s a great addition to any cook’s box of tricks; with the added bonus that its unpasteurized versions are also rich in live, friendly bacteria.
Some of the darker varieties of miso can be really pungent but sweet, made from soya beans and rice, is about the mildest you can buy, that is also great in dressings.
But you can, if you like, use the slightly stronger Shiro miso in this recipe.
WHY this salad is so freakin’ awesome:
- Doesn’t require any cooking – just chopping and mixing is required here.
- There are so many wonderful textures and distinct flavors, yet they all work well together in perfect, delicious harmony.
- The dressing is homemade, using wholesome ingredients, as opposed to dousing this salad in mayo.
- This salad is done in 15 minutes! But if you have a little extra time, I recommend leaving the salad in the fridge a bit, so that all the flavors have enough time to mingle.
More Vegan Recipes:
Anyway! Do let me know how you found this Super Quick Miso-Dressed Cabbage Salad if you try it though! And if there was anything you tried or something that worked better…Do drop me a comment below, or you can find me/message me directly on Instagram, Pinterest, YouTube, or Facebook! I love seeing what my lovely readers think of my recipes!
Super Quick Miso-Dressed Cabbage Salad
- 1/2 small red cabbage/about 300g
- 1 tsp of black mustard seeds/or black onion seeds
- Finely chopped chili
- For the dressing:
- 2 tbsp of white miso
- 2 tbsp of olive oil
- 1 tbsp of rice vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp of minced ginger
- a small clove of garlic minced
- First, make the dressing:
- Put all the dressing ingredients in a bowl and mix well.
- Finely shred the cabbage. Add it to the dressing bowl together with the black mustard seeds and diced chili.
- Mix well. You can serve it straight away, or leave it in the fridge for a few days to do it's magic to soften up and intensify the flavors. Either way works.
You can replace the red cabbage with Savoy cabbage, grated raw cauliflower, or thinly sliced Brussels sprouts.