This Easy Vegan Indian Inspired Tofu Scramble will satisfy your cravings for eggs in the morning. It’s packed with protein, veggies, and it makes you not miss eggs at all! The touch of kala-namak is important, as it gives the whole thing an ‘eggy’ taste and smell.
Now, I grew up eating eggs for breakfast. I never got bored with them, I loved them. But when I discovered the scrambled tofu alternative to the eggs, I was really happy, and I don’t miss eggs now at all.
I have given this tofu scramble a twist, by adding additional Indian spices, because, for me, spices make the dish, and I am obsessed with spices.
The recipe is flexible to taste, add veggies of choice, change up the spices, and make this your own.
This version with tofu is a simple scramble with a few ingredients. But when done, it becomes a vibrant, delicious, savory, satisfying meal to start the day. This tofu scramble is best served hot with toasted bread or in a breakfast bowl.
SHOP FOR EQUIPMENT FOR THIS RECIPE:
Don’t have the needed equipment to make this recipe? Don’t worry, I got you covered!
I have linked you below with all the equipment you may need for this recipe, so that will save you the time to look for them!
Let’s make some breakfast!
Do let me know how you found this Easy Vegan Indian Inspired Tofu Scramble if you do try it though! And if there was anything you tried or something that worked better…Do drop me a comment below, or you can find me/message me directly on Instagram, Pinterest, YouTube, or Facebook! I love seeing what my lovely readers think of my recipes!
Also, I would really appreciate if you check out my very first E-Book, it’s a 70-page book, full of beautiful, easy, and delicious vegan dishes! Click HERE to find out more!
Easy Vegan Indian Inspired Tofu Scramble
- 1/2 tsp oil or 2 tbsp broth for oil-free
- 1/2 red or yellow onion finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 green chili serrano or Thai, finely chopped or use 2 tbsp finely chopped green bell pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin or ground coriander or both
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 medium tomato finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp salt divided
- 14 oz firm tofu lightly squeezed to remove extra dipping moisture and crumbled evenly
- 1/2 cup 8 g loosely packed cilantro
- 1/4 tsp of kala namak it gives the dish an eggy flavor
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook for 3 mins or until starting to get golden. Add garlic and chili and a pinch of salt and cook for another 2 mins until golden.
- Add turmeric, cumin, black pepper and mix in. Add tomatoes and 1/4 tsp salt and mix in, cook for a minute to soften. (Add in other veggies such as peppers, zucchini, etc with the tomatoes if you like)
- Add cilantro, crumbled tofu and 1/4 tsp salt and mix well. Cover and cook for 2 mins (longer for dryer). Taste and adjust.
- Sprinkle in the kala namak, and mix in for a few seconds and take off the heat. Let sit for a minute before serving over toasts, pita bread, or part of a breakfast bowl with roasted potatoes, crunchy greens.