These Easy Vegan Mbatata Cakes (Caramelized Mango Cakes) will remind you of the tropical.
They are gluten-free, oil-free, nut-free, filling, and super easy to make! You will love them!
What are Mbatata Cookies?
Mbatata Cookies are a type of sweet potato cake made in Malawi to celebrate special occasions. They are traditionally cut into heart shapes because Malawi is known as ‘the warm heart of Africa’. Isn’t that alone enough to make you want to visit?!
I was looking into African cuisines, as I love to dig into other cultures and cuisines and learning more about their food…etc.
So I came across these beauties. Coconut and Sweet potato, even mango is a marriage made in heaven combo.
So I topped these cookies with sweet coconut cream. I loved them so much, that I made another batch and shared it with my friends – and it was a huge success!
My cookies turned out rather more like cakes – because I added less flour. They were soft and slightly crispy on the outside!
You could do either, add more flour and make them cookie-like, but the cake-like texture works well for a decadent dessert. The mixture is a simple one – just a bit of mashed sweet potato, a little butter and flour, a sprinkle of sugar and cinnamon. You can jazz it up any way you like, so I sought inspiration from Malawi’s tropical fruits and made a caramelized mango filling and coconut cream to drizzle over the top.
It’s not an overly sweet dessert, and the tropical flavours work really well with the Mbatata base. They are ridiculously filling though, so you may just want to share one between two – or, if you’re anything like me, skip the main course and just feast on this dessert. It’s practically a complete meal; it’s got a potato in after all!
Do let me know how you found these Easy Vegan Mbatata Cakes (Caramelized Mango Cakes) if you do try them though! And if there was anything you tried or something that worked better…Do drop me a comment below, or you can find me/message me directly on Instagram, Pinterest, YouTube, or Facebook! I love seeing what my lovely readers think of my recipes!
Also, I would really appreciate it if you check out my very first E-Book, it’s a 70-page book, full of beautiful, easy, and delicious vegan recipes! Click HERE to find out more!
Easy Vegan Malawian Mbatata Cakes [Caramelized Mango Cookies]
- For the Mbatata Cookies:
- 1 medium-sized sweet potato about 240g
- 1 tbsp butter
- 20 ml milk any dairy-free milk will do
- 80 g self-raising flour I used a gluten-free blend
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 6 tbsps coconut/light brown sugar divided
- 1/2 a fresh mango chopped into small pieces
- For the Coconut Cream Topping:
- 2 tbsps Coconut cream
- 1 tbsp dairy-free yogurt
- 1 tbsp Icing sugar
- Peel, chop and boil the sweet potato until tender. Drain and mash with the butter and milk. Leave to cool slightly.
- Preheat the oven to 350F/180C and line a baking tray.
- Stir the flour, 3 tablespoons of the sugar, and cinnamon into the potato mixture until all ingredients are combined.
- With lightly floured hands, bring the mixture together into a ball and leave to rest for a few mins. It might be a bit sticky.
- Meanwhile, make the caramelized mangos by putting the mango pieces in a pan with 3 tbsp coconut/light brown sugar. Stir the sugar until it begins to dissolve. Leave to cook for about 10 minutes until the caramel is just golden and the mango pieces are brown. Remove from heat.
- Add the caramelized mangos to the sweet potato Dough and combine. Spoon and shape 6-8 cookies on a baking tray.
- Bake in the oven for 25-30 mins.
- Meanwhile, whisk together the coconut cream, Dairy-free yogurt, and icing sugar.
- Serve the cakes warm from the oven. Drizzle over the coconut cream just before serving.