Intensely chocolatey, perfectly moist, so pretty, and dead easy to make – this Easy Vegan Chocolate Fudge Cake is EVERYTHING a chocolate cake should be. All made in one bowl and no fancy ingredients or equipment needed – this is the vegan dessert recipe you need to make. ASAP.
This chocolate fudge cake is a perfect example of how you don’t need eggs, milk, or any animal products to make delicious fudgy goodness. Vegan food can be tasty, Vegan food can be pretty, and Vegan food can be made easy!
All you need is one bowl to make this recipe and a baking pan. Can’t get any easier than that!
The best thing about this vegan chocolate cake is that it’s virtually impossible to tell it’s vegan. It has the perfect crumb – moist and decadent without being too dense or claggy.
How To Make This Amazing Cake:
Mix all the ingredients in a bowl, this should form a batter. Pour the batter and bake. It’s really important that you do NOT open the oven whilst the cake is baking; otherwise, it will sink.
Another very important thing is to follow the recipe measurements correctly. When it comes to baking – precision is extremely important!
Please read the notes below!
Equipment You May Need:
Do let me know how you found this Easy Vegan Chocolate Fudge Cake if you try it though! And if there was anything you tried or something that worked better…Do drop me a comment below, or you can find me/message me directly on Instagram, Pinterest, YouTube, or Facebook! I love seeing what my lovely readers think of my recipes!
Easy Vegan Chocolate Fudge Cake
- For The Sponge:
- 2 cups/240g plain flour
- 1 1/2 cups/300g of light brown sugar
- 3/4 cup/80g cocoa powder
- 2 tsp/8g baking powder it's really important that this measurent is accurate, the teaspoon needs to be just level, not heaping.
- 2 tsp/7g bicarbonate of soda it's really important that this measurent is accurate, the teaspoon needs to be just level, not heaping.
- 2 flax eggs 2 tablespoons of flaxseed mixed with 5 tablespoons of water
- 1 cup/225ml of dairy-free milk I used oat
- 1 cup/100ml of vegetable oil
- 0.2 cup/50ml of water or 4 tablespoons of water
- For the Vegan Butter Icing:
- 1 cup/230g of powdered/icing sugar
- 2/3 cup/150g of vegan butter spread I used Vitalife ( make sure its soft at room temp)
- 1/3 cup/30g of cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons of dairy-free milk.
- Optional Decorations For The Cake:
- 3-ingredients chocolate fudge truffles
- 4-ingredients silky-smooth vegan chocolate truffles
- Shaved chocolate bar
- Preheat the oven to 355F/180C.
- Mix together all the ingredients except the water, then add the water and mix to combine well.
- Then pour the batter onto a 'buttered' or parchment-lined 8" (inch) cake pan.
- Bake in the oven for 30 minutes. It's really important that you do not open the oven during those 30 minutes, otherwise the cake will sink.
- After 30 minutes, check the cake by inserting a toothpick, or cake tester. If it comes out clean, the cake is ready. If not, cook for 5-10 more minutes.
- Leave to cool in the pan, then put the pan with the cake in the fridge for a minimum of 2 hours. ( This part is really important, because if you start icing the cake now, it will crumble, and it will be really difficult to ice it. )
- Meanwhile - make the icing.
- Mix together all the icing ingredients under the ingredient section above 'Icing' It should form a smooth icing.
- When the cake is cold, remove gently the cake from the pan and then you have two options:
- Slice the cake in half using a serrated knife, then ice the middle and the top, even the sides if you like.
- Don't slice the cake, just ice the top and the sides is your other option.
- Cover the cake with the icing you made, and decorate the cake however you like. I went for chocolate shavings and homemade vegan chocolate truffles.
Alternatively, use chocolate coconut ganache for the buttercream! The cake will keep well at room temperature for up to 3 days. If kept in the fridge - it will keep for 5 days.