This Oil-Free Roasted Eggplant Chickpea Salad is quick, easy, healthy, and customizable, it’s a perfect sandwich or wraps filler and great on a bed of leafy greens!
To my WFPB friends! I just wanted to share a tried and true recipe that I love, and made a large batch of for lunches this week – it’s one of those things that tastes better a day or two later….it usually doesn’t last longer than that, we eat it right up! So good on salads, whole grain bread, whatever you like! So flavorful, filling, and my non- WFPB friends gobble it up. I put pomegranates in it for extra sweetness. Worked fantastically well!
Typically, when I make a batch, I’ll graze on it for most of the day. It’s completely satisfying and tastes great while giving me more than half of my required protein and fiber for the day!
Oil-Free Roasted Eggplant Chickpea Salad INGREDIENTS:
The ingredients can be changed up to suit your taste and keep it interesting!
- Chickpeas – Use canned or fresh cooked garbanzo beans.
- Eggplant – is a wonderful addition, it can take so much flavor.
- Pomegranate – Great for a cool crunchiness
- Mint– worked so well, and brought a wonderful freshness to this dish
- Onion– Try scallions in it’s place for variation.
- Hummus, tahini – If using hummus or tahini, I highly recommend adding a few tablespoons of water to thin it, making for a wonderfully creamy texture.
- Garlic powder – For good measure, add a nice flavor.
- Cumin, dried coriander, onion powder, paprika – all bring so much flavor to the table.
- Lemon – I love lemon on just about anything, it adds brightness and zing.
- Add diced red bell pepper, for crunch and color.
- Vary it up by adding olives, capers, sweet pickle relish, etc. Maybe not all together, but pick and choose.
Do let me know how you found this Oil-Free Roasted Eggplant Chickpea Salad if you do try it though! And if there was anything you tried or something that worked better…Do drop me a comment below, or you can find me/message me directly on Instagram, Pinterest, YouTube, or Facebook! I love seeing what my lovely readers think of my recipes!
Oil-Free Roasted Eggplant Chickpea Salad
- For the salad:
- 1/2 Diced red onion
- 1/2 bunch Diced mint
- 14 oz/400g can of Chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 1/2 Pomegranate seeds picked
- 3 tbsp of runny tahini
- 1 lemon - juice and zest
- For the roasted eggplant:
- 1 large eggplant
- 1/2 tsp of cumin
- 1/2 tsp of dried coriander
- 1/4 tsp of garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp of onion powder
- 1/4 tsp of paprika
- 2 pinches of chili flakes
- 1/4 tsp of black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 375F/190C.
- Cut the eggplant into cubes, then add all the rest of the ingredients under the roasted eggplant section of the ingredient list. Mix well, and transfer onto a baking dish, and roast in the oven for about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare all the salad ingredients from the list above and place them in a bowl.
- Add the cooled roasted eggplant to the salad bowl, and drizzle the tahini, lemon zest, and juice.
- Mix well and serve!