This Easy Oil-Free Vegan Zhoug can be spread on sandwiches, tossed with pasta, and used as a dip for everything from veggies to falafel. Vegan and free from gluten, soy, oil, & refined sugar. This recipe is super easy to make.
But, first things first:
What is Zhoug?!
Zhug, “sahawiq” or “bisbas” is a hot sauce originating in Yemeni cuisine. In other countries of the Arabian Peninsula it is also called mabboj.
What do you eat with Zhoug?
Try Zhoug as a dip for vegetables /dressing or dip with pita (bread or chips). It makes a delicious sandwich spread, a super sauce for pasta (here’s where it’s like pesto), and vibrant addition to pizza and salads. It’s traditionally served alongside hummus and falafel, and we’re all for sticking to this tradition.
How to Make Oil-Free Zhoug:
You’ll need a food processor for this recipe and about 35 minutes. ( most of the time waiting for the veggies to cook ) So it’s not all hands-on.
All you gotta do is bake the pepper with the spices and onion and chili, then add all the rest of the ingredients listed below in the food processor and blitz. Job done.
Do let me know how you found this Easy Oil-Free Vegan Tofu Bacon you do try them though! And if there was anything you tried or something that worked better…Do drop me a comment below, or you can find me/message me directly on Instagram, Pinterest, YouTube, or Facebook! I love seeing what my lovely readers think of my recipes!
Easy Oil-Free Vegan Zhoug
- 1 green pepper diced in chunks
- 1 small shallot peeled and diced
- 2 green chilies deseeded diced roughly
- 1 glove of garlic
- 1/4 bunch of coriander
- 1/4 bunch of parsley
- 10 leaves of mint
- 1 preserved lemon skin only or lemon zest
- 100 ml of water
- For the spice mix:
- 1/2 tsp of cumin
- 1/2 tsp of ground coriander
- 1/4 tsp of turmeric
- 1/4 tsp of black pepper
- 1/2 tsp of salt
- pinch of chili flakes
- Preheat the oven to 190C/375F/ Gas 4.
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper and add the chunks of onion, green chili, green pepper, and spices.Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes until browned.Leave to cool for 10 minutes, then add all the remaining ingredients in a food processor and the roasted veggies.Blits until a puree, stopping a few times to scrape off the sides.
- I like to add dollops of this zhoug on my pizzas, pastas. salads etc.