This Vegan Crispy Cauliflower Steak With Creamy Mushroom Sauce is easy to make, and is herbed up and tastes so lovely! It’s crispy, and the mushroom sauce goes fantastically with it!
I have quite a few cauliflower recipes on this blog that I make regularly. It’s such a versatile vegetable! It’s easy to serve it frequently while keeping things interesting with different recipes and different ways of making it.
I especially love cauliflower steak! It’s my newest cauliflower discovery, and I’ve been making it quite often lately.
Imagine delicious, well-seasoned, juicy roasted cauliflower. Now imagine it in the form of thick, steak-like slabs.
Thick slices of roasted cauliflower are very tasty and very satisfying. I happen to think that cauliflower is awesome in general – it’s delicious, nutritious, and very versatile. But it’s especially awesome when thickly sliced and roasted or panfried.
In this recipe, we served these crispy cauliflower steaks with creamy mushroom sauce, because it simply complements it so well! Add a few roasted potatoes and a side of salad if you like for a completely satisfying meal!
It’s most definitely not the healthiest dish, especially if fried, but come on! It’s a lovely treat, and it’s a vegetable, so no animals have been killed for this meal!
Makes 2 steaks
For the steak:
1kg of cauliflower cut into thick steaks
200g of polenta ( or plain flour )
1 cup/ 300ml of dairy-free milk
1 tablespoon of garlic powder
2 tablespoons of paprika
1 tablespoon of onion powder/granules
1 teaspoon of salt
2 cups/ 220g of panko, or standard breadcrumbs
vegetable oil to fry the steak ( optional, you can bake them for a healthier alternative )
For the creamy mushroom sauce:
3 cups/ 300g of diced mushroom
1 1/2 cups/350ml of plant-based milk
1 large shallot, chopped
3 cloves of garlic, minced
2 teaspoons of thyme
1 tablespoon of Vegan margarine/butter
3 tablespoons of all-purpose flour ( to thicken the sauce, you can even use cornflour)
salt and pepper to taste
1. Bring a saucepan with water to the boil, and add the cauliflower steaks to it and blanch them for 5 minutes, then rinse them with cold water.
2. Sweat down in a pan, on a medium heat the shallot and garlic until soft with the vegan butter, then add the chopped mushrooms and cook until the mushrooms are soft.
3. Add the flour and thyme to the mushroom pan, and cook the thick paste for 2 minutes, then add the plant-based milk. Reduce the heat, add the pepper and salt and simmer until it thickens.
4. If you are frying the steaks, heat oil in a deep saucepan until it reaches 300F/180C. If you are baking the steaks, preheat oven to 425F/200C and line a baking tray with parchment paper.
5. Now make the pane for the steaks; in a deep dish, add the polenta and all the dry herbs and mix. In a separate deep dish, add the plant-based milk, and finally, on the third deep dish add the breadcrumbs.
Coat the steaks with the herby polenta mix, then coat them in the milk, and finally in the breadcrumbs.
6. Fry the steaks for 4 minutes until golden crispy, or if baking them, simply brush them with some olive oil and bake in the oven for about 35 minutes.
Enjoy the steaks topped with the mushroom sauce and any side you fancy!
We really hope you enjoy this Vegan Crispy Cauliflower Steak With Creamy Mushroom Sauce and do drop us a comment below and let us know how you found the recipe!