This Easy Healthy Vegan Asian Slaw Salad l has been my go-to lunch these days! It’s easy to make, full of flavor and super healthy. Asian food is a favorite around here and I have a soft spot for crunchy greens and a bit of spice.
This recipe is perfect to be packed ahead for the week and for meal prep. I tend to take it to work and it just makes me feel a lot better, that I get to crunch on my veggies and keep the good healthy track!
It kinda feels bad posting yet another tofu recipe, but if you’re sick of tofu (like my partner haha) you could always sub chickpeas or tempeh instead. I just love how versatile tofu is and it’s a great Vegan alternative in Asian recipes.
WHAT YOU’LL NEED FOR THIS Easy Healthy Vegan Asian Slaw Salad RECIPE
- Tofu – You’ll need to use extra-firm tofu for this recipe. I always like to use the super firm, high protein tofu that is pre-pressed. If your tofu isn’t pre-pressed, I would suggest pressing it for at least 15 minutes before cooking.
- Cabbage and Carrots – I used green cabbage and carrots that I shredded myself but you could also use a bag of coleslaw mix. You could also just dice the carrots up rather than shredding them. Purple cabbage would work well too.
- Garlic and Ginger – I always like to use fresh garlic and fresh ginger. You can buy pre-minced jars of both garlic and ginger but I never feel like they have the same taste. You could also sub dried spices if you’re not able to find the fresh stuff.
- Green Onion – I like the addition of the green onion because it adds a nice freshness and onion flavor bite.
- Sesame Oil – I like to use sesame oil to cook my tofu and veggies in because it has a nice Asian food flavor. If you don’t have sesame oil you can just use your favorite kind of oil.
Right, let’s make some crunchy salad!
Just before we start, please do let us know how you found this recipe, and if you do like what you are seeing and tasting, do subscribe to our newsletter to keep getting yummy vegan recipes, or check out our Facebook page and our Instagram too!
♥ Thank you ♥
Each serving contains approximately 172 calories
2 teaspoons sesame oil, divided
1 (14-16 oz)/ 400g package tofu, pressed
1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic
3 tablespoons low sodium tamari, or soy sauce
1 medium-sized head of shredded green cabbage
2 large carrots shredded carrots
1 clove garlic, minced
1 teaspoon fresh grated ginger
1/3 bunch of thinly sliced green onion
cashews, wonton strips, cilantro/coriander, sriracha, limes
1. Crumble the tofu into bite-size pieces. Heat a large pan over medium heat and add 1 teaspoon sesame oil, tofu, 1 tablespoon soy sauce and granulated garlic. Stir together and cook until tofu is browned about 10 minutes.
2. Remove tofu from the pan and add the remaining 1 teaspoon sesame oil, cabbage, carrot and remaining 2 tablespoons tamari/soy sauce. Stir and let it cook down for about 5 minutes. Make a small well in the middle of the pan and add the garlic and ginger. Stir around for about 1 minute and then stir everything together.
3. Cook until cabbage and carrots are desired consistency, 3-5 minutes. I like to keep them a little on the crunchy side so there is more texture to the meal.
Stir in the green onion and the optional toppings on top and serve!